How to Play KINGS CUP drinking card game | Rules With Printables
KINGS CUP, AKA KINGS, is a drinking card game often known as RING OF FIRE, WaterFall, or very similar to Circle of Death; all well-known favorites with good reason. Every turn results in someone drinking! It’s as simple and as fun as that!
Here are the most widely accepted Rules for KINGS CUP the drinking card game including Variations and the most suggested ‘New Rules’.
Just need a reminder of the rules? Click on Image below.
- Resources Required
- OverView / General Play
- BEST NEW RULES TO ADD TO KINGS CUP
- CHEAT SHEETS
- Similar Games: Ring of Fire or Circle of Death
- 1 x Pack of Cards (ideally waterproof!)
- 1 x Cup (ideally unbreakable)
- Several players (2 – ~10)
- Each player should have a drink of their choice (NB: they do not have to be the same drink!)
- Set the Cup in the center of the table and spread the shuffled cards face down in a circle around it. This circle of cards is then known as “The Ring of Fire“.
- Each player gathers around the table with their chosen drink (and refills!)
OverView / General Play
One person starts by taking one card from the circle, taking care to ensure the Ring of Fire is NOT Broken (i.e the remaining cards need to be touching so there are no gaps in the circle), and then follows the rules (see below) for that card.
After following the rules for that card Play then continues to the next person around the table who then takes a card etc
Play continues until the last King card is drawn and, following the rules, the ‘Kings Cup’ ( the cup in the center) is then consumed.
Having fulfilled the rules for the card you then have to place the card under the opening ‘tab’ of the can. As each player does so the ‘tab’ gets pushed up, higher, and higher.
Play continues until someone makes the can ‘pssst’ (open!) when inserting there card. They then have to drink the can!
Note: If when trying to insert their card they knock the other cards out, they then have to finish their own drink AND put all the cards back, potentially then opening the can!
For full rules see our RING of FIRE RULES
RULES for each Card
Time for one round: 20 minutes.
Rules: How to Play KINGS CUP Drinking Game
- Ace – is Waterfall
You start drinking, then the next person in the circle starts drinking, and so on. You can only stop drinking when you finish your drink or the person before you stops. So once the card drawer stops, the next person can stop, and so on.
- 2 – is You
You choose another player to Drink
- 3 – is Me
You must Drink
- 4 – is Wh0re
All the Girls must Drinks
- 5 – is Thumb Master
As Thumb Master, in their own time, this player places their Thumb on the table. All other players must then race to also place their Thumb on the table, last player Drinks!
- 6 – is Dicks
All the Guys must Drink
- 7 – is Heaven
Last person to point to the sky Drinks
- 8 – is Mate
Choose a Mate to Drink with you.
- 9 – is Rhyme
Say a word (e.g. Rum) and then each player, in turn, has to say a word that rhymes (e.g. Drum). First player to stutter or fail, Drinks
- 10 – is Categories
Pick a category (eg Countries) and then each player, in turn, has to say a word in that category (America). First player to stutter or fail, Drinks
- Jack – is Make A Rule
Make up a new rule that EVERYBODY has to follow for the rest of the game!
ONLY drink with your left hand
Can’t refer to people by their first name
If you point, then you and the person pointed at must drink
- Queen – is Question Master
You can ask ANY question to ANYBODY at ANY TIME until the next Queen is drawn (then that player become the Question Master) but if ANYBODY answers your question they Drink
- King – is for the KINGS CUP
Pour some of your drink into the cup in the middle.
- LAST KING
If your card is the last King, then you have to drink EVERYTHING in the KINGS CUP and that ends that round of the game.
- Breaking the Ring of Fire
If, when a player removes a card, the remaining cards are not left touching each other, leaving a gap in the ‘ring’ around the Cup, that player is deemed to have BROKEN THE RING OF FIRE!
They must then drink the entire contents of the KINGS CUP!
NB: The contents of the Kings Cup should then be refilled with the player’s own drink.
BEST NEW RULES TO ADD TO KINGS CUP
A lot of the fun with this game comes with the additional rules that players can add. Obviously the standard forfeit is to drink!
We play that these ‘New Rules’ stay for the evening, not just that round of Ring of Fire.
- ONLY drink with your LEFT hand
- Can’t refer to people by their FIRST NAME
- If you POINT, then you and the person pointed at must drink (an alternative is if two players make eye contact)
- You can ONLY point with your ELBOW
- Only refer to yourself in the THIRD PERSON (e.g. Bob cant say “I want a beer” instead he must say “Bob wants a beer”
- End every sentence by saying the last word TWICE. (TWICE!)
- If you swear you have to put your FOREHEAD on the TABLE until somebody else swears!
- Everyone picks an ANIMAL NOISE and must make it before each Drink. (often gets people multiple times in a row!)
- T-REX – whenever anybody drinks they have to do it with stubby arms on their chest.
- RENAMING another player (e.g. DADDY, DARLING, etc) anybody that forgets, drinks.
- VIKING, Whenever someone holds their index fingers up by their forehead (to look like horns), everyone, once they see the horns, must make rowing motions and noises. The last person to notice and do the rowing must drink.
- Undo your INVISIBLE SEATBELT whenever you get up. Back on when you sit down.
- Triple D – DRUNK – DRANK- DRINK If you say any of these words, you d***k!
Just as no two snowflakes are the same, so no two games of KINGS CUP will be the same. Different drinks, players and rules all make each game unique but these are the most commonly noted variations:
is for Race
Pick another player and race them to down your drinks.
is for Slap Face
All other players have to Slap your Face, the last player to do so has to Drink
is for SHUFFLE
Everyone has to change seats. The last person to sit down has to drink.
is for Wh0re
‘Wh0re’ All the Girls Drink
is for Floor
(In the Kid Friendly version); Everybody has to touch the floor, last player Drinks
is for Dinosaur
In the event that no Ladies (Girls, Chicks, etc!) are playing then on taking this card the player draws a dinosaur on another player’s face.
is for Drive
Everyone pretends to be driving a car; the player who got the ‘5’ starts and turns towards a neighbouring player whilst saying ‘Vroom’. The player they turned towards can then say ‘Vroom’ and turn in the same direction or instead say ‘Skrrrt’ (skid sound!) and change the direction back. This mini-game continues until somebody makes a mistake, either turning the wrong way for the sound or making a sound when it isn’t their go. They then Drink!
is for Dive
Everyone has to Dive under the table, the last player Drinks
is for Guys
(In the Kid Friendly version) All males Drink
is for Chicks
(In the Kid Friendly version) All females Drink
is for Hate
You pick a player and they have to Drink until you say STOP but if they finish before you say stop then they get to do the same to you!!
BREAKING the RING of FIRE
The penalty in some versions is that you have to down your OWN drink rather than the Kings Cup.
Click on image to open a JPEG of the Rules.
Similar Games: Ring of Fire or Circle of Death
Have we missed some of your favorite Variations?
What are the Best ‘New Rules’ that you play?
Leave us a comment and we will add in the most popular!
Please remember to drink responsibly! This alcohol drinking game is not meant to lead to you becoming sick due to over-consumption of alcohol.